Data Usage-Based Tier Update for February 2020 (NU time!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasn't seismitoad OU because it countered vish? so rotom mow is OU because it counter a pokemon only play to counter an other pokemon
That's some inception
Although Vish is a pretty big reason to use Toad at this point, it offers decent role compression with Rocks + Toxic + a Vish/Rotom check. So it's more than just a vish check, although at this point it can be dead weight in a lot of different matchups :x

I guess I just don't understand this line of thought. Game Freak is clearly treating it as an NFE (note that it can use an Eviolite). So why can't we? Just because its evolutions aren't yet obtainable? Again, if we're gonna go that route, then maybe we should disallow it from using an Eviolite. After all, as far as Smogon is concerned, it's fully-evolved! It doesn't need an Eviolite! I hope this scenario sounds as ridiculous to you as it does to me...
just leave it alone bro he’s just being a jackass about it. i understand the point you’re making.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
No it really doesn’t sound very far fetched and we aren’t going to modify mechanics to sate you
What a wonderful idea, let's just wait 3 or 4 months because we self-imposed a rule (not a mechanic) that makes no sense whatsoever in this specific context but we are too dumb to have agency and think without following a script, definitely the way to go. I for one am gonna enjoy the niche techs coming from slowpoke in UU.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
What a wonderful idea, let's just wait 3 or 4 months because we self-imposed a rule (not a mechanic) that makes no sense whatsoever in this specific context but we are too dumb to have agency and think without following a script, definitely the way to go. I for one am gonna enjoy the niche techs coming from slowpoke in UU.
Ok

Bulky Death Fodder
Slowpoke-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Disable
- Whirlpool
- Scald
- Thunder Wave

And here is your niche tech coming from Slowpoke in UU. The only role that its excels in is that of a bulky death fodder. Its main competition is Wobbufet and to an extent Wynaut, but unlike them Slowpoke can actually attack the opponent and try and trap them and/or cripple with status. Obviously switching immediately renders it useless like the blue blobs. Partners that enjoy Slowpoke are frail set up sweepers or revenge killers like Haxorus, but considering the team that Slowpoke is likely to be in more appropriate partners includes things like Coalossal, Jolteon or Eiscue. Have fun with your niche tech Slowpoke in UU. With ♡ Blanca Weiss.

Also thank god at least even the RU ladder realized that Jolteon is shit(ier) now and finally drop it. Also UU please free Cramorant.

Bulky Death Fodder
Slowpoke-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Disable
- Whirlpool
- Scald
- Thunder Wave

And here is your niche tech coming from Slowpoke in UU. The only role that its excels in is that of a bulky death fodder. Its main competition is Wobbufet and to an extent Wynaut, but unlike them Slowpoke can actually attack the opponent and try and trap them and/or cripple with status. Obviously switching immediately renders it useless like the blue blobs. Partners that enjoy Slowpoke are frail set up sweepers or revenge killers like Haxorus, but considering the team that Slowpoke is likely to be in more appropriate partners includes things like Coalossal, Jolteon or Eiscue. Have fun with your niche tech Slowpoke in UU. With ♡ Blanca Weiss.

Also thank god at least even the RU ladder realized that Jolteon is shit(ier) now and finally drop it. Also UU please free Cramorant.
Cramorant has a niche though. Rocky Helmet + Gulp Missile baby

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Can.... can we talk about this? I know that when a Pokémon gets added mid-generation (which has happened in the past with event legendaries), it typically starts at OU and has to work its way down. But I think that Slowpoke-Galar is different. While it is true that most Pokémon, at the start of a generation, have to begin at OU and work their way down, there is an exception to this rule: NFEs. NFEs are, by default, allowed in all tiers and have to work their way up, not down. We seem to be treating Slowpoke-Galar as being fully-evolved simply because it cannot yet evolve. But I'm going to argue to the contrary. It absolutely *can* evolve. It's just that the item needed to make that evolution possible isn't obtainable yet. But in the game's code? It probably says something like this (not that Pokémon is written in Java, but you get the point):
Simple response here: it doesn't matter if Slowpoke could evolve or not. Newly released Pokemon will start off in OU and drop tier by tier like any other Pokemon, NFE or not. Slowpoke-Galar is not even the first example of this: USUM Poipole also had to start out in OU and drop slowly down the tiers.

For that matter, when the DLC releases, I expect all of the NFEs/LCs to follow this same procedure as well, meaning PU will be waiting at least 4 months after each new DLC to get the unevolved mons, though some NFEs may actually end up staying in some upper tiers, like Chansey, Porygon2, maybe (?) Scyther, which is another reason why we do this slow process of starting off all newly released mons in OU instead of starting the NFes off in PU: to see if some of them are actually worth residing in higher tiers than PU (Chansey and Porygon2 especially).

Simple response here: it doesn't matter if Slowpoke could evolve or not. Newly released Pokemon will start off in OU and drop tier by tier like any other Pokemon, NFE or not. Slowpoke-Galar is not even the first example of this: USUM Poipole also had to start out in OU and drop slowly down the tiers.
The only reason why Poipole didn't start in LC is because it wasn't obtainable at Level 5. If it was obtainable at Level 5, it would start in LC so this point is moot. Same for Type: Null fwtw.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The only reason why Poipole didn't start in LC is because it wasn't obtainable at Level 5. If it was obtainable at Level 5, it would start in LC so this point is moot. Same for Type: Null fwtw.
LC does not operate on the usage stats of the usage-based tiers. Being LC-eligible has nothing to do with whether the mon is newly released or not; they just follow two simple criteria (can it evolve and can it be obtained at/below level 5). A newly released mon can be eligible for LC but STILL have to start off in OU; they're two separate things.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
LC is not the wrong tiering to mention. You meant to say NFE, and even still you are pretty wrong on that regard.

It's nice to see that a lot of my favorite Pokemon that were pretty unviable ended up finding a decent home in RU, like Mr. Rime and Boltund. The only mon I really, really like that hasn't found a home yet is Golurk, and I fear the worst for him.

Ah, ok. My bad.

So then... how about we take all of the Pokémon in here and put them over there?
I really don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this my guy, you really seem to think that the world is about to implode because galarian slowpoke started in OU instead of NU when it really doesn't matter and it will gain its appropriate tiering regardless of if it started in PU, OU or Ubers.

I feel like far too much time has been spent talking about this and I am sorry that I am perpetuating it slightly

So am I stupid or can a Pokemon reach up to 200% in the usage stats? (every team has one so the mon shows up twice in every battle)

The usage stats show how often a Pokemon is used by team, not by battle. Since most formats don't allow you to have the same pokemon twice, it's not possible to have more than 100% usage.
Oh okay! All this time I thought it was by battle, my bad!

Does this mean that the usage percentages all add up to a total of 600%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)