Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

I'm currently trying to build an OU team around Nidoqueen, as its my favorite Pokemon and one of the most fun to use in battle for me, but I'm still very bad at working out synergy and general team building things. Would anyone be willing to help me figure out what could work with Nidoqueen?

whats roserade's niche again only thing I can think of is its a spiker that can beat mega sab

e: klefki can do this lmao I guess it gets both spike moves but idk

I'm currently trying to build an OU team around Nidoqueen, as its my favorite Pokemon and one of the most fun to use in battle for me, but I'm still very bad at working out synergy and general team building things. Would anyone be willing to help me figure out what could work with Nidoqueen?
Rotom-w has really good synergy with Nidoqueen, as does gyarados (mega or not).

This is a bit of a random question, but is the concept of "tank" not a thing anymore? I recall it being pretty common a while back, but nowadays they don't even have a section in the Roles Compendium and those who'd fit the mold are now referred to as Offensive Pivots and Bulky Wallbreakers and whatnot.

This is a bit of a random question, but is the concept of "tank" not a thing anymore? I recall it being pretty common a while back, but nowadays they don't even have a section in the Roles Compendium and those who'd fit the mold are now referred to as Offensive Pivots and Bulky Wallbreakers and whatnot.
Yes, it is still a thing. There is tankchomp and heatran for example

This is a really dumb question, but not necessarily a simple one. Sorry in advance for how shitty it is.

How does one ("one" being "me", so "how does me") play offensively?

I'm mostly into the theorymon and the discussions, less so the actual playing. But all the way since gen 4, when I have played I've always gravitated towards heavier 'mons; balance, or bulky offense, or even semi-stall. But I'm terrible at playing offensively or with entirely offensive Pokemon. Sacking things, and knowing when to do it early on, or forcing switches on 'mons so Weavile or Bisharp can set up SD and not have to switch out immediately afterwards. Or just die to whatever I tried to predict a switch on. I've a competition going on IRL in three weeks that I do every year and it's the one time of the year where I actually make any kind of effort, and I'd like to use a darkspam team with those guys ^. But I can't get it off the ground. Like, double switches, sure, I do those, although I'm not always sure I did it for the right reasons. Crutches like slow voltturns from Rotom or Screens from Klefki are obvously easy enough to use. But any time I try to use just regular offensive strategies I just end up getting my frailer 'mons killed. Last time I tried anything offensive, I used a MLop/Bisharp/Gengar/Slowbro/Clef/Heatran team from the RMT forum, and it was just a disaster. Everything did so little and died so fast, sans the bulkier half, which had to carry my mistakes. Bleh, this is embarrassing. But, like, what's the change in mindset needed to go from taking hits and denying momentum to dealing them and taking it?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a really dumb question, but not necessarily a simple one. Sorry in advance for how shitty it is.

How does one ("one" being "me", so "how does me") play offensively?

I'm mostly into the theorymon and the discussions, less so the actual playing. But all the way since gen 4, when I have played I've always gravitated towards heavier 'mons; balance, or bulky offense, or even semi-stall. But I'm terrible at playing offensively or with entirely offensive Pokemon. Sacking things, and knowing when to do it early on, or forcing switches on 'mons so Weavile or Bisharp can set up SD and not have to switch out immediately afterwards. Or just die to whatever I tried to predict a switch on. I've a competition going on IRL in three weeks that I do every year and it's the one time of the year where I actually make any kind of effort, and I'd like to use a darkspam team with those guys ^. But I can't get it off the ground. Like, double switches, sure, I do those, although I'm not always sure I did it for the right reasons. Crutches like slow voltturns from Rotom or Screens from Klefki are obvously easy enough to use. But any time I try to use just regular offensive strategies I just end up getting my frailer 'mons killed. Last time I tried anything offensive, I used a MLop/Bisharp/Gengar/Slowbro/Clef/Heatran team from the RMT forum, and it was just a disaster. Everything did so little and died so fast, sans the bulkier half, which had to carry my mistakes. Bleh, this is embarrassing. But, like, what's the change in mindset needed to go from taking hits and denying momentum to dealing them and taking it?
Balls-to-the-wall offense is all about either double switching, or simply sacking a mon to do damage because you know the other mons on your team can come in to take advantage of that. To play offensively, you really have to build offensively. It's why that guy on the ladder with the 6 setup sweepers is able to win games. He simply overloads the opponent until something sweeps.

I'm looking for opinions. Would you keep this event Mew or keep soft-resetting? And is this Mew competitively viable?

Mew - #151 (Rash) : 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 22 / 31

HP: 31
Att: 31
Def: 31
SpA: 31
SpD: 22
Speed: 31

Possible Hidden Power Types: Steel
Possible Hidden Power Attack Powers: 70

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
tbh that's fine no one uses hidden power on mew anyways and its main niche is as a medicham check, also you could run an offensive set if need be

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm looking for opinions. Would you keep this event Mew or keep soft-resetting? And is this Mew competitively viable?

Mew - #151 (Rash) : 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 22 / 31

HP: 31
Att: 31
Def: 31
SpA: 31
SpD: 22
Speed: 31

Possible Hidden Power Types: Steel
Possible Hidden Power Attack Powers: 70
I'd keep soft resetting if I were you. Offensive Mew is pretty mediocre in general due to the fact that there are just better attackers, and you'd be better off going for a bold variant with max hp, def, SpD, spe and one attacking stat depending on if you want to use KOff or Psychic/Psyshock.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I see Blissey in VR and I thought the only reason to use it was because of Shed Shell for Goth, does it actually have a niche or is it there because "passive recovery is better than more bulk"

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
cm bolteam blissey handles gengar and manaphy while hitting most 4x ice weak stallbreakers (im thinking of gliscor rn) really hard with ice beam

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Anyone know if thundy-t does something specific like get a 2hko on something thundy-I cant? I know it hits harder but im trying to find a situation where that actually matters and ergo you can actually justify using thundy-t over thundy-i. I havent been able to find anything particularly notable with calcs.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Use it if you want Volt Absorb and/or a slightly more potent double dancer. Otherwise just use Thundy-I.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You can afford to run Modest which gives you a significant power boost. Hippo is rarely an answer to ThundT.

+2 Focus Blast (NP set) does a lot more to Chansey. I think LO Modest Focus Blast (Agility set) can OHKO Ferrothorn after Rocks a lot of the time.

Why people run fake out over protect on M-Sableye?
Is the minimal chip damage exclusively on the first turn you switch in worth giving up the possibility of catching doubles, Lop HJK mindgames, stalling out weather turns, burn stalling, and so on?
I just think that aside from the turn 1 fake out is pretty much a wasted moveslot when protect can come in handy in a number of scenarios. On phone rn sorry for any typos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)