Finals Official Smogon Tournament XII - Finals [no winner]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncrasy

Change the game, don't let the game change you
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Didn't Atticus admit to being ghosted In a tour a few years ago, but yet he still has his trophy. If people are complaining that after the tour njnp still shoul have his trophy removed why aren't they talking about Atticus's case? It seems like most of this talk about trophy removal is from personal dislike.

If one is caught for cheating and partially delegitimizing an official tournament -- a tournament that people spend many hours teambuilding and playtesting for -- there are three options:

A. profusely apologize and promise your future actions will make amends for your misstep

B. do what dice did, acknowledge the hopelessness of your situation and lay low for a while

C. act snarky about it

At least 3 people slapped with the "Tournament banned" label have chosen option C in this thread (with only the snowcap dude apologizing for it). That is god damn infuriating, if you cheated in an official tour, how hard is it to at least pretend to be a decent person?
Yeah. I mean, I apologized to TDs both privately and publicly (here in thread). But I was obviously on several different levels of snark prior to that post. I believed they had banned us without evidence, and believed they did so because of widespread hatred for NJNP. I was defensive over what I perceived to be an injustice.

I legitimately thought our guilt was debatable. At the very least, I believed (still do) that our crime was a minor infraction compared to most cases we see about ghosting, and know for ourselves that it wasn't premeditated (though my word is worthless here). I pushed the issue because I believed we should not be punished the way they were planning, and believed the overkill was due to a personal grudge. Frankly- I'm still not sure I'm wrong about that. But I do know for sure that my accusations were baseless, and I had no factual grounds to say the childish and shitty things that I did with such objectivity and confidence.

In any case, you do point out that I have not apologized to the community in any way. And while I feel it's a bit dramatic- I guess we all take time out of our day to be here and make a point of taking competitive pokemon seriously together.

For violating that mutual trust and collaboration, I am sincerely regretful and apologetic. It'll be a long time before I have an opportunity to repair any reputation in the tour scene. But in the mean time, I hope to find ways to use my abilities and resources to help the forum. If TDs/moderators/anybody in the community has need for video editing, photoshop, whatever- feel free to reach out, I'd be excited for an opportunity to help. Maybe I can help identify photoshopped evidence, or something.

I'll try real hard to stop being a bitch now. Peace.

who would have thought.

Also he shouldnt get the trophy just like he didnt get the money, he cheated in the tour that he went on to win later, but he shouldnt have even been in the tournament for this long since he broke the rules and thus should have been disqualified earlier in the tour already, punish ghosting the way it should be punished, as hard as possible. Also even though theres no proof as of right now, he took part in ghosting already so how unlikely is it that he was on the receiving end as well?

who would have thought.

Also he shouldnt get the trophy just like he didnt get the money, he cheated in the tour that he went on to win later, but he shouldnt have even been in the tournament for this long since he broke the rules and thus should have been disqualified earlier in the tour already, punish ghosting the way it should be punished, as hard as possible. Also even though theres no proof as of right now, he took part in ghosting already so how unlikely is it that he was on the receiving end as well?
The problem is that we can't just assume he got ghosted based on the fact that he ghosted someone else. I agree with him not getting the trophy; he cheated in the tournament and regardless of whether or not his intentions were to help himself get further into the tournament he cheated and he should not receive the honor(or whatever the heck else he gets for winning this God awful tournament) of winning ost

Nothing personal against NJNP who I find a good player, but dudes, if I play for my friends in a tournament in which I'm taking part (in order to take out my opponents or even not but still), I'm still cheating in that tournament so I should get DQ'ed from it. That's the simple reasoning behind people's complain of njnp not deprived of trophy

Reactions: BK

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't think that njnp should get his trophy taken away. I mean he did cheat in the same tour, but it wasn't super bad cheating. I can't believe all you guys are throwing so much hate at him. ITS NOT LIKE HE CHEATED THAT BAD!!! This is making me so angry. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the results tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck are you trying to get njnp punished? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want cheaters to keep trophies. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought ghosting someone else was ok???? This is so fucked.

Last edited:
This whole argument is so convoluted. Basically, ghosters and ghostees are getting punished after being snitched on. so essentially, if you have good friends, you can continue to ghost all you want without repercussions.

Instead of witch hunting players through Randall grade snitches, how about we work towards making official tournaments harder to ghost? I mean ffs, for a competitive game, 280 seconds is a fuck ton of time to give someone. Lower that time to 60 seconds and it lowers the amount of time the person can even consider another persons advice let alone his/her own thoughts.

This is only one idea, but my point is that we will never get rid of ghosting. Unlike the people with scumbag friends that snitch, most people don't have friends like that. Because there is no feasible way to get rid of ghosting, change the game to adapt. People will continue to ghost, and to attack someone's character in doing so is quite honestly disgusting. If smogon can't figure out a way to get rid of ghosting, attacking the character of those who do so must be the answer, right?

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Lowering the time per move isn't going to help. Matter of fact, it'll help the ghostee even more. You heard of Skype? I don't have it, and people have been harassing me to create one, yet I still know what it does.

Simply put on your headphones and you can chat with other dudes while the game is in play. It's quick, easy, and happening live. Now that I think about it: ghosting does in fact give the one being ghosted an advantage. The ghosters can see patterns in the opposing player more so than the ghostee, who's typically nervous as fuck and can't think clearly because he's too busy sweating his ass off. The friends can help calculate damages too, which can be time consuming and causes one to lose one's thought or game plan from time to time.

To be continued... Gotta get back to work.

Lowering the time per move isn't going to help. Matter of fact, it'll help the ghostee even more. You heard of Skype? I don't have it, and people have been harassing me to create one, yet I still know what it does.

Simply put on your headphones and you can chat with other dudes while the game is in play. It's quick, easy, and happening live. Now that I think about it: ghosting does in fact give the one being ghosted an advantage. The ghosters can see patterns in the opposing player more so than the ghostee, who's typically nervous as fuck and can't think clearly because he's too busy sweating his ass off. The friends can help calculate damages too, which can be time consuming and causes one to lose one's thought or game plan from time to time.

To be continued... Gotta get back to work.
Well we can't get skype recordings either so we aren't able to stop that kind of ghosting. Lower timers would make it way harder to ghost via skype/facebook messengers.

Odds are most of the people virtue signaling that they TOTALLY HATE CHEATING have engaged in the same exact behavior that resulted in the tourney bans here. Hell this is mild compared to what people were knowingly doing just a few years ago. The strictness in which we're applying these "ghosting" rules is relatively new in the grand scheme of things. The idea of stripping njnp of his trophy strikes me as a bit of an over-correction spurned on by a few factors (the obvious one being what I gather as a general dislike of the user in question).

I know the TDs already made a ruling, but I thought I'd weigh in my two cents to break up the bandwagon mob calls for njnp's head. I hate to see someone dogpiled because they've done something most of us have done at one point or another.
Hey man I've never cheated. But I've also never won so xd

Tele

a quality human being
i swear i didnt want to get involved but becos my name was mentioned:

leremiju dude i honestly thought u were just some whitequeen's bitch or something i honestly cant believe you called me out that way of all people
you didnt mean to disrespect her majesty telegend but u actually did so heres what i gotta say

ur right i havent won anything just like the 99% of the people here, no ive never called myself a god, but aldaron once changed my username to teleGOD (that was back when i dethroned bloo) i didnt ask for it and i didnt like it so after a few time i asked for the old username to be put back

about the njnp case
i think they are not removing the trophy
i think the tournament ban they gave him is just a warning for him to behave better in the future
at the end of the day ost is smogon most prestigious tournament and they clearly dont want a prick to win becos its gonna give a bad image of tournaments, of the community and of the site

"at the end of the day ost is smogon most prestigious tournament"

sure, funniest site tournament, my favorite pastime

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
at the end of the day ost is smogon most prestigious tournament and they clearly dont want a prick to win becos its gonna give a bad image of tournaments, of the community and of the site
The community doesn't want a cheater to win, people don't care that much about a prick winning a trophy as long as he abided to the rules. In fact, many trophy winners are considered 'pricks' by the majority of the community, but they are respected as players. Examples:

Pokemon Professor, the winner of Smogon Tour season 2 was hated by the majority of the community afaik. He was also around a couple of years ago on the PO forums, and he didn't seem very nice.

goofball this guy literally changed his forum name to ''LadyBugIsAPieceOfShit'' once, after Lady Bug lost a WCoP game or something... can't get worse than that

There are other people like Ojama or Tesung that many people dislike (as far as I know!, nothing against you guys), but nobody complains about them having a trophy, because they played fair.

Also many people in smogon think I am a prick (which I understand tbh), but when I played gr8astard in OST finals most of the community wanted me to win because of what happened in that tournament.

Tele

a quality human being
The community doesn't want a cheater to win, people don't care that much about a prick winning a trophy as long as he abided to the rules. In fact, many trophy winners are considered 'pricks' by the majority of the community, but they are respected as players. Examples:

Pokemon Professor, the winner of Smogon Tour season 2 was hated by the majority of the community afaik. He was also around a couple of years ago on the PO forums, and he didn't seem very nice.

goofball this guy literally changed his forum name to ''LadyBugIsAPieceOfShit'' once, after Lady Bug lost a WCoP game or something... can't get worse than that

There are other people like Ojama or Tesung that many people dislike (as far as I know!, nothing against you guys), but nobody complains about them having a trophy, because they played fair.

Also many people in smogon think I am a prick (which I understand tbh), but when I played gr8astard in OST finals most of the community wanted me to win because of what happened in that tournament.
you may be right but it may be a bit more complex than that. this tournament had 1 thousand people and a prize money. there also were high expectatiotions after what happened last year with Bloo and Gr8astard's scandal.

i have no clue if they already gave njnp the prize money or not, but lets suppose they disqualify njnp and remove his trophy. what the hell are they gonna do next. recreate another bracket? both u and i know there cant be another bracket recreation for multiple reasons. cancel the tournament like they did with grand slam this year? yes they could. but if the prize money has already been given then it would make no sense at all. lets assume instead the prize money has not been given yet. if they cancel the tournament, there would be no prize money. im pretty sure this decision would upset many people becos many people joined expressly for the prize money. in other words they have to give the prize money to someone otherwise it would look a little fishy, u get me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)