Metagame ORAS RU: Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Mega Sceptile's stats have been revealed, I've been giving some more thought to some of its sets. With those +25 Attack and Speed boosts and the extra Dragon typing, Swords Dance looks very viable as it 2HKOs most Pokemon in RU at +2 with a set of Leaf Blade/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/SD. However, it might be forced to run Jolly over Adamant in this tier since Jolteon outspeeds Adamant along with some Scarfers. That's okay though because it still gets the 2hKOs and OHKOs it needs for the most part. It also has the option to use Iron Tail over Leaf Blade if it wants to targets Mega Audino, Whimsicott or Togetic. It must be wary for Abomasnow, Glalie and Fletchinder however.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow --> Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade/Iron Tail
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Swords Dance
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 231-273 (56.8 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 342-404 (84.2 - 99.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aromatisse: 340-402 (83.7 - 99%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aromatisse: 506-596 (124.6 - 146.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 182-216 (58.3 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 140-166 (43.8 - 52%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 312-368 (85.9 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 310-366 (95.9 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 236+ Def Whimsicott: 316-372 (97.8 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Eviolite Togetic: 248-294 (79.2 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Moltres: 253-298 (78.8 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Moltres: 379-447 (118 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 434-512 (82 - 96.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Damn this thing has bulk)
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Amoonguss: 231-273 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Outrage vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Amoonguss: 348-409 (80.5 - 94.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 186-220 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Golbat: 210-247 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Golbat: 141-166 (39.9 - 47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Registeel: 210-248 (57.6 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 172-204 (44.7 - 53.1%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 301-355 (70.9 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 202-238 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Outrage vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 238-282 (53.6 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Specially-based 4 Attacks also looks great for it. 145 base Sp. Attack and STAB on Dragon Pulse suddenly make its Special movepool a whole lot better. This set isn't as forced to run a +Speed nature as it can just switch out on Jolteon and Scarfers without fear of losing boosts. However, Aromatisse, Cresselia, Amoonguss and others wall it, which is a shame. It will perform more consistently than the Swords Dance set though.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow --> Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP(Atk)
Timid/Modest/Rash/Mild/Naive/Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm/Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Rock/Earthquake/Iron Tail/Crunch/Outrage
later

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would honestly just run Outrage on physical Mega Sceptile. You have Leaf Blade for reliable STAB move already. Anyways, on with the show!

Mega Steelix: Idk about anyone else, but I'm kinda happy about this. Kind of out of left field, but this has some pretty sweet potential. Aside from a Speed stat that's higher than Slowking, Steelix got everything it wanted with its Mega. More power, more bulk. Here's a set that I'm liking the looks of so far:

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy --> Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam / Gyro Ball / Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock

Kind of like how Mega Aggron works in UU. Come in, tank hits, set up Rocks, and hit decently hard. Without Filter, Mega Steelix should focus more on offense imo with that new sexy base 125 Attack stat. Heavy Slam is the primary Steel-type STAB. Why? Well, it's going to get heavier than it already is. More max power hits. Gyro Ball is still nice to hit faster foes that can take a Heavy Slam. Iron Head is a nice medium of sorts for more consistency. EQ does what EQ does. Hit virtually everything for good damage. Stone Edge crushes Moltres rather easily and has good coverage with EQ as is. Ice Fang is a nice alternative if you hate Gligar. Stealth Rock fills the last slot since Steelix doesn't need a ton with regards to its coverage outside of the the moves it has already. EVs are fairly basic for a physical bulky attacker like Steelix. If using Gyro Ball, move the 8 Speed EVs over to Special Defense, change the nature to Brave, and reduce Speed IVs to 0. Also do this if you decide to put Mega Steelix on a Trick Room team. Sheer Force is an option when using Iron Head and / or Ice Fang, but Steelix generally wants to Mega Evolve ASAP and Sturdy can let you take any one hit and set Rocks / kill something as normal Steelix.

Mega Glalie: Pearl. already covered this one pretty well. It's a real shame that Glalie doesn't have access to Hyper Voice to hit on the special side with Refrigerate. Still, it looks to be like a new-ish Froslass in regards to being a suicide Spikes lead. And that Explosion is KOing virtually anything it touches thanks to the Refrigerate boost. Only issue is that it can't hold Focus Sash, but as Pearl mentioned, it can wallbreak too to make up for this.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
YO, what's up everyone. User: Kaphotics did a data dump of the ORAS demos, and found a bunch of interesting stuff, including a new mega and the base stats of all the RU megas. Look at the pastebin below for the leaks.

http://pastebin.com/eKAmvkQn

Now remember, this thread is only for discussing the megas that will be starting out RU and below (look at the OP for a list of all of them), so try and stick to that! The new mega/alt form and the base stats for Pokemon in other tiers may be exciting and all, but they aren't relevant to the tier so try and keep comments about those under control.

Something kinda funny to note: Gamefreak lowered mega Beedrill's special attack stat to ridiculously low levels just to make sure the attack and speed boosts were enough

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
YO, what's up everyone. User: Kaphotics did a data dump of the ORAS demos, and found a bunch of interesting stuff, including a new mega and the base stats of all the RU megas. Look at the pastebin below for the leaks.

http://pastebin.com/eKAmvkQn

Now remember, this thread is only for discussing the megas that will be starting out RU and below (look at the OP for a list of all of them), so try and stick to that! The new mega and the base stats for Pokemon in other tiers may be exciting and all, but they aren't relevant to the tier so try and keep comments about those under control.

Something kinda funny to note: Gamefreak lowered mega Beedrill's special attack stat to ridiculously low levels just to make sure the attack and speed boosts were enough
Wait a sec, how can Mega Diancie's Atk & SpA receive such a huge boost when it was assumed that it was an all-rounder (like Mew and Rachi)? The BST is still the correct 700 though, so either Diancie's base stats or the Mega Evo stats are false.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Oh my bad, Diancie isn't an all-rounder XP I guess having ALL of its stats changed threw me for a loop there.

Also goddamn Mega Beedrill is the most offensively potent of all these revealed Megas (or even some current ones), hot damn; if it gets Megahorn or something we're all ded.

Edit: Machi I know why Mega Beedrill gets away with such engorged stats. +70 Speed was not something anyone expected, regardless.

Last edited:
Oh my bad, Diancie isn't an all-rounder XP I guess having ALL of its stats changed threw me for a loop there.

Also goddamn Mega Beedrill is the most offensively potent of all these revealed Megas (or even some current ones), hot damn; if it gets Megahorn or something we're all ded.
Notably Mega drill also got some stats tweaked in mega form, specifically its SpA resulting in the +130. Incase you are wondering why that also doesn't add up XD.

Punchshroom It gets STAB Adaptability U-turn coming off base 150 attack and outspeeding the entire unboosted RU metagame. Even if it doesn't get Megahorn it'll probably still be amazing.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Just did a small compilation of stuff that got some tutor moves to use in RU, along with some comments of mine. Here it is:

Decent Tutor Moves: Dual Chop, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Zen Headbutt

HUGE Tutor Moves: Low Kick, Gunk Shot, Superpower, Knock Off, Drain Punch, Focus Punch

Meet the Golurk of XY. From zero to hero with a single game release. It got everything it ever needed (with the exception of Sucker Punch, but that'd be ridiculous anyways), from coverage moves to updates on its STABs. Except it to become a good offensive threat, with either its Choice Band set (Parting Shot, Knock Off, Hammer Arm and Gunk Shot) or a Swords Dance set, which won't be as strong vs offense but has the potential to break through stall teams, which won't be uncommon, since it actually doesn't do all that bad against the newly introduced offensive threats.

---

Good Tutor Move: Drain Punch

Nothing too big, but it only has one actual counter now in Doublade, and can recover the HP it loses from Belly Drum if it gets lucky, making it even more dangerous than it is now.

---

Good Tutor Moves: Iron Head, Superpower, Outrage

Would be even better if it got Rock Head to run both Outrage and Head Smash, but it'll pack a bigger punch in ORAS. It gets Iron Head for coverage on Fairies too. Choice Band Tyrantrum will smack through everything it sees with the exception of Fairy-types and Doublade.
---

Good Tutor Moves: Earth Power, Hyper Voice, Stealth Rock

A big winner in my opinion, although it probably won't be enough to jump to RU from the depths of PU. Refrigerate-boosted Hyper Voice coming from base 99 Special Attack will hurt stuff, and with Earth Power's coverage and Stealth Rock's utility (as well as a decent Rock Polish set), I'm sure it'll be worth a viability ranking anyway. A real shame it got cursed with the worst typing possible, cause it's one of the most interesting Pokemon of this generation.

---

Good Tutor Moves: Foul Play, Synthesis

This one probably benefits Gourgeist-XL the most, since the small one is usually a Substitute + Leech Seed variant anyway, but the big variant won't need to use stuff like Protect anymore. It also gets Foul Play to handle physical attackers even better, and some gimmicks such as Trick and Giga Drain. Definitely an underdog in the ORAS metagame, although it doesn't do so well against the new Mega Pokemon. Something like Will-O-Wisp, Synthesis, Seed Bomb and Foul Play will be a stellar Fighting-type check.

---

Honorable mentions:
  • Magic Coat Delphox (Cool gimmick for NBT threads)
  • Giga Drain Vivillon (Destroys Rock-types now)
  • Knock Off Malamar (lol It might actually be able to do some damage after a Contrary boost)
  • Superpower Avalugg (Not a beast per say, but bulky offensive sets with Recover won't even be bad)
  • Hyper Voice Heliolisk (Fun upgrade over Jolteon)
  • Leaf Blade and Hurricane Shiftry (Another minimal upgrade. Swords Dance Shiftry got 10% cooler and it's also actually legal with Defog. Hurricane will be good on Nasty Plot sets to break through stuff like Amoonguss)
  • Earth Power Diancie (If it ever drops, requesting a quickban on Mega Diancie though. If it doesn't drop, at least we're getting Earth Power ROCK WITH EYES)
Will post on Mega Evolutions later, because some of them are ridiculously broken fun too. Sort of lacking in time right now though.

Last edited:
Mega Beedrill is so powerful it will definitely not be RU. It'll be UU for sure. With that massive Attack stat plus Adaptability, even things that resist will have trouble with it. Mega Glalie has potential to move up to UU. It can run Protect and be used a wallbreaker. Its Explosion is so powerful it can OHKO Eviolite Chansey. It destroys all stall. Gallade and Sceptile certainly won't stay RU either. Also Heliolisk gets Dragon Pulse via Tutor. No longer does it worry about being stopped in its tracks by Dragons. It now has something to hit them with.

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 663-781 (103.2 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(663, 672, 679, 687, 694, 702, 711, 718, 726, 733, 741, 750, 757, 765, 772, 781)

Here's a random damage calc of Mega Glalie's power:

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

I know Ferrothorn is OU but this thing has a niche in any tier as a wallbreaker. It can come in and just rip through anything.

Steelix isn't going to lose its ground typing, according to a certain leak. I doubted it would. It's undeniably worse than Aggron - worse typing, worse offense, worse ability... Very few positives.

Beedrill is amazing, though will probably not see that much use - his offensive capabilities aren't high despite his GF-blessed stats. Also, still no Megahorn. U-Turn / SD / Poison Jab / Drill Run probably is his best set.

Holy cow, these leaks contain so much interesting information! I'd really like to comment on a couple things that really tickled me fancy:
Mega Gallade: OH MY GOD I'M SO HAPPY Say hello to what is going to be one of the most potent Sword Dance sweepers in the tier. One of Gallade's issues has always been that its speed, while decent, was sometimes not enough to let it sweep through teams, forcing it to use the relatively useful but weak Shadow Sneak to avoid being revenge killed by faster threats like Delphox and Sigyliph or, at the very least, do some chip damage before going down. Now that its Mega stats have been revealed, things are going to change drastically: first off, 110 is a godsent in the RU tier, outspeeding the musketeers, Hitmonlee, Moltres, Sygiliph, Delphox, Durant, and many others, while only being outsped by Choice Scarfers (most are either easy to identify or hit from the special side, so Gallade can tank a hit and retaliate), Jolteon, Accelgor and the newly released Mega-Pidgeot and Beedrill (will talk about them later), thus making its SD set much, MUCH more threatening; secondly, GF really didn't screw up and gave it a much needed defense boost (eat your heart out, gardy), and now it's not that frail on the physical side anymore, thus allowing it to accomplish some really cool feats it couldn't before, including but not limited to:
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 185-218 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (which means that, if healthy, it can actually check sharp without even caring about flinching :P);
  • 252+ Atk Black Glasses Spiritomb Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 142-168 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (I chose SP because it has the same power of Shadow Sneak, but this means it can actually take a hit and cripple tomb with Knock Off/WoW/whatever, although you shouldn't stay in on it anyway);
  • +1 4 SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 163-193 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (In case you switch into CM, you can tank a hit, SD up and then do this: +2 252 Atk Gallade Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 438-516 (103.3 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO);
'Course, the set i'm theorymonning with is this one:
Gallade @ Gallite
Ability: Justified --> Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sword Dance
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

110 Speed opens up a lot of new possible sets, but I feel this one is gonna be the better one. All in all, Mega-Gallade is definitely going to be one heck of an improvement over regular Gallade, and I'm really looking forward to use it.
P.S.: Also, just for fun:
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Ambipom Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 110-133 (39.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Gallade Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ambipom: 660-776 (226.8 - 266.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Revenge killing who, exactely?

Mega Beedrill: Never thought a Pokemon could be buffed this much 0-o. 15 Base SpA is ridiculous, but I digress. 150 Base Atk gives it the most powerful U-Turn in the tier and 145 Speed is gorgeous to outspeed everything unboosted and hit everything massively hard with Adaptability-boosted attacks. On top of that, Knock off is still the best move in the game and allows Beedrill to aid its team in fighting stall, and it also has access to Toxic Spikes, SD to sweep on its own and even Baton Pass iirc. Its only saving (dis)grace is that it still has Base 40 Defense, which means that stuff like Cobalion and Spiritomb can take a hit and retaliate and RK it with priority respectively (although it can still switch away and 'Tomb won't enjoy switching in on U-Turn).

Mega Pidgeot: This one looks interesting: it's basically a faster, more powerful Moltres (albeit without items, Fire STAB and worse typing) with a 110 STAB move with no drawbacks, excellent coverage and 30% confusion rate, decent bulk and recovery to boot. It is definitely going to be a pretty cool revenge killer with that tornadus-y speed tier and great stab, although HP Grass-less sets will be eaten alive by Rhyperior, but that's what teammates are for!

Mega Glalie: A Mega whose greatest niche is exploding is something new, but Glalie gives a new meaning to the word "Suicide setter": possessing possibly the most powerful momentum-gaining move ever, Glalie will be able to abuse its decent 100 Base Speed to stack Spikes, hit things with absurdly powerful Refrigerate-STAB Return and, when the situation calls, explode and inflict ludicrous amount of damages to anything that touches (and doesn't use protect). Doing 44% to Doublade with a resisted move is quite something. Its 80/80/80 defenses, even with that crappy typing, mean it can switch into some Scalds/Knock Offs and wreck havoc.

Last edited:
These new tutor moves and megas actually have me pretty hyped for ORAS RU and the ORAS metas in general. Tbh the XY metas are pretty stale, but after seeing these mega stats and the tutor moves I can't wait. I'm gonna do a long-winded follow up post to talk about the mons later, with stuff I think could stay and the broken shit I'll spam pre-quickban

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

hey guys, something else to note that pretty much everyone forgot is how much Kecleon appreciates the new tutors. It didn't really get anything new from them, but what it truely appreciates is that all of its good tutor moves are finally legal with Protean (Knock Off, Drain Punch, the elemental punches, etc). I'm not sure if Kecleon will be a top tier RU threat with all this, but you never know considering STAB everything is a pretty significant buff. I can see it becoming quite good in NU with some viability in RU at least :o.

hey guys, something else to note that pretty much everyone forgot is how much Kecleon appreciates the new tutors. It didn't really get anything new from them, but what it truely appreciates is that all of its good tutor moves are finally legal with Protean (Knock Off, Drain Punch, the elemental punches, etc). I'm not sure if Kecleon will be a top tier RU threat with all this, but you never know considering STAB everything is a pretty significant buff. I can see it becoming quite good in NU with some viability in RU at least :o.
Speaking of new things in ORAS, here are some things that might be on interest for you RU people;
  • Ludicolo gets Knock Off
  • Vileplume and Bellosom get Moonblast
  • Doublade gets Magnet Rise
  • Aromatisse gets Heal bell (l know, Aromatherapy is a thing) and Drain Punch (lol)
  • Sharpedo gets Poison Fang
  • Shiftry gets Hurricane and Leaf Blade
  • Cacturne and Marcatus get Spikey Shield
  • Mismagius gets Mystical Fire
  • Huntail and Gorebyss get Coil
  • Accelgor gets Water Shuriken (lol)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Guess I'll go over some cool things I feel have some signfigance:

Mega Gallade: I doubt it's going to stay RU, but my god they did a great job with this one. Base 110 Speed puts it ahead of the musketeers, Heliolisk, Durant, and many others. Only thing they could have done better was giving it a better ability (or even keeping Justified with that boosted Defense and ability to absorb Knock Offs now)

Mega Beedrill: Fuck Special Attack. It doesn't need it. As funny as it sounds, that's exactly what they did. Take away virtually all of Beedrill's Special Attack, pump it into Attack and Speed, and add the extra 100 to Speed and Attack as well. Still super frail though, so it'll have issues switching in.

Mega Altaria: I was actually very close to predicting this spot-on. I had it getting +10 in Special Defense, but they just gave it an extra 5 in each attacking stat instead. Probably works for the better anyway. This will be a lot of fun to use for the short time we can use it.

Mega Pidgeot: +65 in Special Attack.... That has got to be the largest boost to any one stat any Mega has received to date. +20 in Speed is nice too, but it still gets boned by Jolteon, which sucks ass. Very minimal boost in bulk is unfortunate, but it's still probably enough to do something with.

Mega Camerupt: It's tied for slowest RU Pokemon with Escavalier. Trick Room will have a new WMD to have fun with. Outside of TR, Camerupt is kinda meh. Being slower than even Slowking sucks ass when you're 4x weak to Water. Pretty much confined to Trick Room imo.

Mega Sharpedo: Its saving grace is going to be Strong Jaws Poison Fang. That literally makes Aromatisse cry. Otherwise, I don't really see much use in it over regular Sharpedo.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

With the announcement of the ORAS tutor moves, one pokemon that will definetly see more usage in RU imo would be Slurpuff. Now Belly Drum Slurpuff was hard to deal with as it is with only steel and poison types safely coming in on its Play Rough or Frustration. But the ORAS tutors blessed it with an awesome tutor move, Drain Punch. With this, no longer will Slurpuff need 2 rely on Flamethrower to get past steel types such as Registeel and Magneton (still has problems getting past Doublade without Flamethrower as well as physically defensive poison types like Weezing, but nothing but some teambuilding around this problem won't fix like Delphox or Savior Dog plz drop already!.) Anyway, this pokemon already wrecks thing with Belly Drum and now getting another solid physical move that not only helps it gets past steel types while also recovering HP while being at +6 Attack!? That's nothing to sneeze at folks js. Also posting some calcs regarding Drain Punch vs some common switch-ins to Slurpuff.

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 362-428 (99.4 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 416-490 (114.6 - 134.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (it already gets OHKOed by Play Rough. just trying 2 make a point here.)

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Durant: 234-276 (91 - 107.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 174 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 248-292 (76.5 - 90.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

and now for Mega Steelix:

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 200-236 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (not sure about the possible EV spread for Mega Steelix in RU, just showing that Mega Steelix can't switch in on a +6 Drain Punch.)

Last edited:
My thoughts on all the new Megas.

Sharpedo: Already a solid threat in RU, now with an incredibly powerful Crunch, even better speed tier (especially if it can get a boost), and defenses to not shatter at the lightest touch. It also has Poison Fang to consider, allowing it to effectively take down Aromatisse. However its STAB Water attacks are weaker due to lack of LO, so it might not be broken.

Camerupt: Very solid mon with 70/100/105 bulk, rocks, and incredibly powerful Sheer Force STABs. It's only weak to Ground and Water, but that's enough to balance it. You can afford to invest entirley in bulk while still having a respectable damage output. Besides STABs and SR, you can run Roar, Ancient Power or Rock Slide, Toxic or Will-o-Wisp

Altaria: OPTIONS. This thing has so many options with its evenly spread stats. With 110/80 it makes great use of DD, achieving excellent coverage with just Pixilate Return and Earthquake - only Moltres, Fletchinder, and Golbat resist the combo - which allows it to run Roost or sub.
It can also use any of Heal Bell, Defog, Tailwind, Featherdance and Roar to support, and Pixilate Hyper Voice is always good.

Sceptile: Amazing 145 base Speed matched only by Accelgor, Mega Beedrill and +Spe natured 80 Scarfers. Thankfully Delphox can only hit it neutrally, and not much else uses a scarf and can outspeed it. While Timid is necessary, you can sacrifice a bit to invest in HP for a bit of extra bulk. Assuming it stays RU, Watch out for Moltres and Fletchinder.
With 110/145 offenses, Mega Sceptile can easily go physical, special, or mixed. Physical would likely be SD/Dragon Claw/Leaf Blade/Earthquake, although Outrage can be used over Dragon Claw while other options include Rock Slide, Thunder Punch (both hit Moltres hard) and Drain Punch. On the special side, it can hit hard with Leaf Storm or play it safe with Giga Drain, and run Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, HP Fire or Substitute to fill the rest. With all those offensive options, mixed sets can be used to take out would-be counters of either set - you can trick them based on your team/how you play.
And of course it can still SubSeed.

Lopunny: Pretty straightforward, really. STAB Scrappy HJK is great, as is Fake Out, and Ice Punch rounds out its coverage. It also has support options in Magic Coat, Charm, T-wave, Scrappy Circle Throw and Encore but some of these are admittedly niche.

Audino: Great stats but a useless ability makes Mega Audino more or less outclassed. Regular old Audino does everything it can better, and Regenerator + Leftovers makes it durable. You'd hope Fairy typing and a minor offensive boost will be enough to warrant use, but now it's competing with Aromatisse as a Fairy-type cleric, a case which isn't looking any better.

Pidgeot: Curse you, Jolteon! Unfortunately our favorite regional bird falls just short, so it can't safely U-turn out or possibly KO with HP Ground. However, 121 Speed is definitely up there. Pidgeot will thrive in a tier full of Grass and Fighting types, although it will have problems with Electric types. Thankfully move tutors grant it Heat Wave, which allows it to get past Steel types like Magneton and Bronzong. As expected, Defog and Roost are worth considering as it doesn't have many offensive options. Hurricane/Heat Wave already cover a lot, with added HP Ground or Fighting to round out coverage.

Beedrill: With 150 base Attack and Sceptile's excellent 145 base Speed, Mega Beedrill is 100% pure stinging fury and the reason people are scared of bees, wasps, and the like.
With the game's most powerful U-turn and the same amazing Speed tier as Mega Sceptile, Beedrill can keep hitting hard, strategically bring in members of its team, and live to keep striking at opponents.
It gets Knock Off, which is always useful, and Drill Run to get past Fire, Poison, and Steel types. Unfortunately, it's pretty frail with 65/40/80 defenses and is weak to Rock, so repeated switching will wear it down.

Gallade: Near-useless ability, but amazing stats make it worth using. Its 110 base Speed means it outspeeds the musketeers, Durant, and Heliolisk so it isn't outclassed by regular Gallade. I expect SD/Close Combat/Zen Headbutt/Knock Off or Shadow Sneak to be common, using its greatest strengths and espescially advantages over Gallade.

Steelix: What we have here is basically Mega Aggron lite. While it has a poor ability, Mega Steelix has slightly better bulk than Mega Aggron as well as STAB Earthquake and Gyro Ball which is usually stronger than Iron Head or even Heavy Slam. It does however have a weakness to Water and lacks resistances to Ice and Grass.

Glalie: Ice is an unfortunate typing, but base Speed, Glalie isn't just another bad Ice type. Its 120/120/100 offenses are great and mean it isnt forced to take as many hits.
Wielding Spikes, Taunt, and the game's strongest Explosion (nearly as strong as before the nerf, can hit things SE, and nothing immune to it) Glalie makes a formidable lead. It leaves an impact in the form of Spikes, doesn't let opponents set up, and almost always will take domething out with Explosion. It might seem like a waste to use your mega slot up with Explosion so there are other options. A plain physical set with Return/Earthquake covers a lot, and any combination of Ice Shard, Crunch, Iron Head, or Spikes filling up remaing slots.
Perhaps it can run a stallbreaker set with Taunt/Toxic/Super Fang/filler, which wears things down and prevents them from healing. Toxic might not even be necessary as Super Fang could put things into KO range.

Last edited:
The biggest issue I have with Beedrill is getting that mega evolve on its first turn. It's too slow to mega evolve against big offensive threats so it has to come in on slow walls to mega evolve. The problem is that the slow walls are exactly the thing M Beedrill does not want to stay in against, so essentially you're bringing Beedrill in on something it can't kill just to get the mega evolve off and U-Turn out.

I think running Protect will be pretty key for Beedrill. It allows Beedrill to mega evolve as well as scout for whatever the Scarfers (basically the only non-priority things outspeeding Beedrill) want to lock themselves into. Protect, Double STAB and Knock Off is probably what I will try first. Drill Run is amazing coverage but I wonder if Rhyperior/Registeel are just gonna shrug it off anyway.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
For those of you saying Mega Audino is trash, I have one thing to say to you: ARE YOU JOKING WITH ME? That thing has pretty based defenses with 103/126/126, that's not bad at all. Just because it loses Regenerator, leftovers, and has a bad ability does not make it bad. Take a look at Florges, that thing has 2 terrible abilities but is still one of the best special walls in UU. (I know this is RU but it's just a comparison). Not to mention, M-Audino has better overall bulk. Here are some calcs to demonstrate M-Audino's insane bulk.

+2 252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 312-368 (76 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Drapion Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 328-385 (80 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 285-336 (69.5 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Audino: 241-285 (58.7 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

All I can say is, this thing is nowhere near trash.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For those of you saying Mega Audino is trash, I have one thing to say to you: ARE YOU JOKING WITH ME? That thing has pretty based defenses with 103/126/126, that's not bad at all. Just because it loses Regenerator, leftovers, and has a bad ability does not make it bad. Take a look at Florges, that thing has 2 terrible abilities but is still one of the best special walls in UU. (I know this is RU but it's just a comparison). Not to mention, M-Audino has better overall bulk. Here are some calcs to demonstrate M-Audino's insane bulk.

+2 252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 312-368 (76 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Drapion Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 328-385 (80 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 285-336 (69.5 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Audino: 241-285 (58.7 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

All I can say is, this thing is nowhere near trash.
Florges can use Leftovers, which arguably is pretty crippling for a wall such as Audino. The reason that Mega-Audino will be bad is that it doesnt have passive recovery which allows it to not be 2HKOd on the switch as it can protect to get into a range where it wont be 2HKOed. They are also taking away one of the reasons to use it as a Wish Passer, which is Regenerator, without Regenerator Audino finds itself wanting its wishes rather than wanting to pass them.

Also your calcs are pretty irrelevant as those Audino can not switch in on those mons as it will be 2HKOd, and if it comes in after you sack a mon what can it do back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)