Fairy Face-Off Competition

10-0 for Day 1, baby!!!!!!!

Having this format for practice on Showdown helped sooooo much!

Timid Togekiss and Modest Destiny Bond/Synchronoise Gardevoir are putting in the majority of the work, with Klefki and Mawile bringing up the rear.

Now, what am I going to do until 8pm tomorrow night? I want to keep going!!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I finished 9-1 today (1581 at 8-1), my loss coming off an offensive lead Whimsicott that I tried Encoring into something useless with my Gardevior, only for it to beat me with Energy Ball, then it used Endeavour on my second 'mon so their Azu could pick it off. If I had not tried to get to fancy I would have just 2hko'd it with Synchronoise, not sure how the rest would have played out but whatever...

I've run into the usual low-ranking randomness, my favourites so far being; Earth Plate + Dig Azumarill (gave it a Choice Specs), Clear Body (not sturdy), Gyro Ball (not Trick Room + Explosion) Carbink, Steel Wing Togekiss, and Superpower Azumarill on the same team as Covet+Bite Sylveon. So it was a nice warm up day I guess.

I have a huge weakness to Tailwind (no way of stopping lead Whimsicott from Tailwind+Memento-ing), Trick Room (all my pokemon have speed investment over bulk), and Belly Drum Azu, so I'm thinking this may be my most successful day as I predict those will start to show as my ranking gets higher.

Similar to Zetsumei-Sensei, I love DBond Gard. This may be because I've been trying to get lead Sharpedo to work in the Maison for the last month but whatever, it's really good at getting a 3-2 lead, then DBonding Mawile's. Togekiss is annoying as ever, a lot seem to be running minimum speed investment (mine has enough to outrun jolly max Mawile) which helps win 1v1 air slash wars. And of course theres Mawile and Klefki bringing up the rear...

Anyway this is a really fun meta and I can't wait for the battles to get tougher!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What are people mostly running on their togekiss? Life orb + Fire blast?
Flame Plate + Fire Blast because Mawile has my Life Orb haha

edit for more info: also I'm running t-wave and air slash so I didn't want LO chipping away at me while I flinch things to death, and flame plate guarantees the KO on 252 hp / 0 SDef M-Maw, and 2hkos through Light Screen. There's also the 60% burn chance (if it hits) which let's me live an Iron Head.

Leftovers would have been great for when I'm flinching things but the ability to kill Mawiles (and Klefkis) easily is sweet

I've faced a classic scarf 'kiss which was easily dealt with by t-wave, a Lum berry and a couple of Leftovers ones, but I haven't seen a LO one yet. I think Togekiss is really versatile here, easily top tier

Last edited:
I decided to participate in this after a brief hiatus, My record so far is 8-2. Recently got outplayed by a destiny bond gardevoir, should have seen it coming. From the 10 battles I've played, My own gardevoir has been doing work with the sub-disable and encore combo; especially when tracing whimsicott or klefki's prankster. lol

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I decided to participate in this after a brief hiatus, My record so far is 8-2. Recently got outplayed by a destiny bond gardevoir, should have seen it coming. From the 10 battles I've played, My own gardevoir has been doing work with the sub-disable and encore combo; especially when tracing whimsicott or klefki's prankster. lol
What item do you run on it? Leftovers, sash, mental herb, or something else?

There's also the 60% burn chance (if it hits) which let's me live an Iron Head.
Fire blast's burn chance is 10% which becomes 20%

Last edited:
Currently 9-1. Dedenne is amazing in this format so far despite its low BST. :D

Not gonna hint at what sets I'm running until this is over, though. :P
Gonna save some of my better matches for later viewing when this ends, too, so stay tuned for that.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
8-2 for me today. I lost to a Togekiss who critted my entire team (I assume it was Super Luck + Scope Lens; 50% crit chance… right) and to a Gardevoir who spammed Hypnosis + Dream Eater the whole match.

I've seen Azumarill, Carbink, Wigglytuff, and Clefable on the opponent's team, but they've never been used against me. I haven't seen a single Florges or Aromatisse. Then again I saw a team with only 3 Pokémon…

By the way, kind of a dumb question. Isn't Synchronoise a sound move? Both Serebii & Bulbapedia don't have it listed as one.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Went 8-2 for day 2 bringing me to 17-3 (1670 at 16-3) total. First loss was to a lead Taunt+DBond Gardevior, it took out my lead Togekiss after it taunted my t-wave, I got a burn from Fire Blast but went down to a Synchronoise 2hko. It outsped my Gard and used DBond as I killed it with Shadow Ball. This left it up to my LO Maw to take out their Mega Mawile, which it did with Fire Blast but was unable to KO their Wigglytuff so I went down to their Fire Blast. The next was a Japanese player using Rain Dance+Thunder Dedenne, Rain Dance was particularly effective at making their Mawile invincible! Anyone with Dedenne uses it as a lead so I normally send out my LO Mawile first to hit it with a Sludge Bomb, then Fire Blast as they Volt Switch / Normal Switch (to avoid Sucker Punch) in their Mawile, but Rain Dance stopped that from happening! I also led with Togekiss this one time (why??) which hated Thunder...

Had a couple of close calls, including letting a M-Mawile set up to +4 (I wasn't able to DBond it either as I had been Taunted). But I had Klefki in the back which has no fear of +6 Sucker Punch so I finished it with Flash Cannon. I also had an Azumarill set up Belly Drum on my Togekiss, except I had burned it with Fire Blast (thank you based serene grace) so I could tank an Aqua Jet and finish it off. Lucky burns are legit my only way of stopping Azumarills though. I suppose I could try and go for the death by flinch approach but one non-flinch would mean a belly drum and sweep, and I don't trust paralysis. I also hate Taunt Gard which seems to be very popular amongst the Japanese. My other battles were pretty cruisy though, with 'Kiss and DBond Gard doing the bulk of the work.

I actually got to test my horrible plan for dealing with Mega-Mawile. I DBonded it on their Sucker Punch and then went and Encored it into Swords Dance and was able to 2hko it with Synchronoise. They could have won because I tried Encoring them right after it had run out and it failed, luckily they went for a Swords Dance instead of Iron Head otherwise that would have been it!

Saw my first Belly Drum Slurpuff today, paired with a Belly Drum Azumarill (the one I got the lucky burn on). I was able to twave it on the Belly Drum and get in an Air Slash before going down so it was easy to pick off.. Saw an Iapapa Berry Dedenne, the berry only gave it about 5% health back lol, that guy also had a Yawn Togekiss which was annoying. My Mawile outsped a Togekiss that used Air Slash instead of *insert fire move here* which was weird. And finally there was the guy running Poison Fang Mawile (why not Iron Head my Gardevior?) and another Steel Wing Togekiss...

Well that's my day 2 report, bring on day 3!

7-3 on day 2, got owned by several japanese players one who used a choice scarf klefki another that used a banded sylveon with retaliate and my mawile keeps being outspeed by opposing mawiles. They must be running Jolly nature because I have 252 invested in speed lol Also lum berry togekiss is giving me a headache 3 times I've run into one now. Finally got to utilize my Sap Sipper Azumarill against a sub seed whimsicott.

After 3 days I'm around 1650 with a 21-9 record. I was 16-4 going into last night but lost quite a few close ones to higher ranked players, definitely had a chance to rank much higher if I could of pulled a few of those out.

Going in I had planned and bred (and recieved a few 'mons graciously donated by EnGarde and all those that donated to the Battle Spot Clone Box) a Trick Room team to support Mawile. I ended up hatching a shiny timid 31/0/31/31/31/31 Dedenne messing around before the tournament so I scrapped the Trick Room idea and bred a new team so I could use my Dedenne (which most likely is my only chance to).

I ended up running a Gardevoir lead with Substitute/Encore/Disable which all but shutdown the Kleki leads I faced. Tracing Prankster off the bat makes this set a little ridiculous. I lost once badly to a Choice Scarf Switheroo Klefki, but for the most part I'm extremely impressed with how this Gardevoir build handled this meta. Encore won me so many games it's ridiculous. I only wish Synchronoise hit a little harder but this build still did a lot of work for the team.

The other team member I brought besides Gardevoir and Mawile alternated between Togekiss and Dedenne. I was generally happy with both but I seemed to favor Togekiss as I played more matches. There were quite a few times I wished Dedenne would hit harder after crippling Mawile/Azumarill. They both worked very well most of the time in their anti-Mawile roles. Azumarill and Klefki filled out my roster but I ended up leaving them on the bench the whole tournament.

Looking back I wish I would have trained more of my pokes in speed rather than bulk. I was up 2-1 on a Mega-Mawile last night and lost because it outsped my Togekiss and flinched it with Iron Head. A good portion of my losses came down to poor spreads I feel on my part. I think I became so focused on surviving Mawile that I lost sight of just playing the game. The rest of my losses came at poor play on my part which hopefully will get better as time goes on. (Worst loss came as I was playing around Destiny Bond and Sucker Punched to kill my Mawile.)

All in all I'd say I had much more fun this time around than the Eevee Friendly; hopefully my ranking will show it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Managed to go 9-1 on the final day to finish at 26-4. I peaked at 1761 (24W 3L) but lost to another Tailwind team which legit brought me down to about 1715, I was at 1749 before my last game that I won. In the loss it came down to a 1v1 situation with their M-Maw v my Clefable. Evasion was not on my side and so Mawile was able to land the two Iron Heads needed to beat me. I went for Destiny Bond on the Gardevior as I couldn't take it out and was at about 5% health but they Will-o-wisped me which avoids DBond death. If I had gone for a shadow ball I could have finished it with my Togekiss which would then have been able to finish the Mawile with Fire Blast. I had some really exciting battles today though! The match-making system worked much better today than yesterday (played several 1400 ranked players) so almost all my games were against 1600 ranked players, unfortunately I didn't get to fight anyone in the 1700s the whole competition except on my first day. That also means I don't have any funny sets to report :(

Anyway I was going to wait until the results were announced to write my team up but I'm gonna do it now anyway ^_^

In order of MVP - LVP

Togekiss @ Flame Plate
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost

Special thanks to EnGarde for giving me this as I didn't have time to rebreed! 'Cupcake' put in so much work for me, I think I only left it out of 2 fights. I decided on Flame Plate because it gave Fire Blast enough power to OHKO 252 HP / 0 SDef M-Mawile, against anything else it would just T-wave and Air Slash everything to death. Only had trouble with opposing Lum berry Togekiss and faster 'Kiss running T-wave also as they would normally win the flinch war. Dedenne also gave it trouble with T-bolt and Volt Switch, one of my losses was against a Rain Dance + Thunder Dedenne... I ran enough speed to beat 252+ speed Mawile, the rest went into HP. I think Togekiss was definitely one of the most versatile threats in this meta, I ran into Scarf, Lum, Yawn and Life Orb and STEEL WING which were all really good.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 44 SpD / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Synchronoise
- Shadow Ball
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

Thanks to Jkickit for giving me the Ralts with all the nice egg moves that got me started. I decided on LO Mawile so I figured why not M-Gard? This thing has so much power with modest + Synchronoise, and with enough speed to beat 252+ speed regular Gard in mega forme meant it could usually 1/2hko something and get a Destiny Bond in to give me a 2-1 lead. Encore turned out to be pretty effective at locking stuff like Klefki into Screens or Azumarill into Belly Drum (if you traced Prankster) and Whimsicott into anything other than Taunt. DBond saved me so many times it isn't funny. Out comes a Mawile, click Destiny Bond and the other team has just lost their ace. If they went for Swords Dance or Sucker Punch I could Encore them and go from there.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 12 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Sucker Punch

Again thanks to Engarde for the parent! To be honest I wasn't totally interested in this meta and wasn't planning on playing but then I saw what P3DS wrote about how special Life Orb Mawile was working for him and I just thought it would be fun to use. The surprise factor alone gave me the advantage in a lot of my battles. I went for Mild because I wanted Sucker Punch, and figured it wouldn't live a physical hit anyway, the special bulk came in handy against opposing Togekiss and Dedenne so I was happy with that. I was going to speed creep other Mawile but I wasn't sure on a threshold, then noticed max speed reaches 63, 1 point ahead of the uninvested 80 base speed group, this helped A LOT against Togekiss, Klefki and Slurpuff as I could outspeed them and get a surprise kill. There was even a Gardevior I outsped and still ohko'd it! (guessing it was 252 HP / 252 Def). I was a little paranoid because I thought the Dream ball it was in and no Intimidate upon entry would give it away but I had Dedenne's Charming me and Klefkis setting up Reflects in front of it haha.

Klefki @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Switcheroo
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave

I ran into a specs Klefki on the PS! ladder that destroyed me and decided I needed it on my team. There was one whole game where I Switcheroo'd an opposing Klefki which gave me their Leftovers and they were locked into Substitute, this allowed me my one and only Calm Mind sweep and it was awesome. Actually I think I did it to a Gardevior as well, after I realised it could specs Synchronoise my team to death I was worried but turns out Klefki can survive that and win. My teams were usually Togekiss > Gardevior > either Klefki or Mawile. The decision was based on whether Klefki's steel coverage would be enough, or if I would need Mawile's Fire and Poison coverage, this lead to me using Mawile a fair bit more, but Klefki was still awesome. I know the EVs aren't optimised for level 30 but I didnt need an extra point in anything so just went with max/max.

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Minimize
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Moonlight

Thanks to rufusdrumknott for the parent! After I had my first four sorted I was at a bit of a loss for what else to use as they were just going to be filler, and in all honesty they were for the most part, that was until I realised on day 2 that I had no answer for Belly Drum Azumarill. On day 3 if I saw that thing then Clefable was getting picked. Obviously it relies purely on luck but that's the kinda guy I am haha. Max evasion and 3 Calm Minds gives Stored Power enough bang to 2hko M-Maw which meant only allowing one Iron Head in 7 turns, not the best odds, and serves me right as it only worked once! But that one time it did work I was thanking my lucky stars even though I could have brought 'Kiss and killed the Mawile anyway. But it did it's job against Azumarill so a worthy teammate nonetheless.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power Thick Fat (WHOOPS)
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

I already had a Marill for this but Worker traded me a flawless one for one of my Klefkis with Switcheroo so I figured I would just use it! I think I used him in two battles, he managed to outspeed and finish off a low health Azumarill that had Belly Drummed (thanks speed creep) and do a Belly Drum sweep of his own. I would have used him more but with my first 4 + Clefable I just didn't have a spot for him in most battles

I saved a couple of my good wins, didn't save losses because I'm a sore loser...

vs

NPPW-WWWW-WWW9-T53C
I don't mega evolve to keep Prankster, which lets me DBond before Azumarill's Aqua Jet finishes me. Glad I didn't lose to Swagger

vs

H2TW-WWWW-WWW9-T5AV
I sack Mawile so Gardevior can come in safely. This is where I try my DBond+Encore plan against M-Maw which nearly backfires horribly. I figured they wouldn't go for the Sucker Punch on the last turn as they would win if I DBonded anyway, so I took the risk and finished with Synchronoise.

vs

EKTG-WWWW-WWW9-T5EV
Their Sub Klefki gets me at the start, I'm able to trace Prankster which lets me DBond their Mawile despite paralysis. Then I bring in my Klefki to Switcheroo and set up. Features the only physical Sheer Force Mawile I saw.

vs

XWVW-WWWW-WWW9-T5J7
Sub Dedenne goes down to my Mawile despite getting the lucky paralysis from T-bolt. I leave Gard unevolved so I can Encore their Klefki into T-wave but double full-paralysis stops that, fortunately I get the DBond off. It all comes down to my Clefable and their Mega Mawile. Luckily I avoid enough hits to win, if I had Togekiss in the back I would have been able to win with Fire Blast as well but I picked Clefable because they had an Azumarill in team preview.

So yeah I definitely had fun with this competition. Please excuse the massive post, I'm just excited to be back into Battle Spot again! I've been busy with finishing the 'dex, trying my hand at TSV breeding and irl (weekends have been crazy busy). Hopefully I can play some more in the future

edit: I was on the PGL to screen-shot my battle box and noticed that my Azumarill has THICK FAT INSTEAD OF HUGE POWER. Turns out I trained up one of my flawless spitbacks that was sitting in my PC and not the one Worker gave me by accident (I put his in my spitback box and got them confused somehow). This is almost as bad as the time I left my Lucky Egg on Mewtwo for the April Friendly, except I only used Azu twice the whole time (can't believe I pulled off a Belly Drum sweep with him! Lucky their team was already weakened haha).

Last edited:
I went 8-2 on all 3 days, which is weird since it's usually all over the place, so 24-6 total with a rating of 1720ish. After a bad start on day 1, I'll definitely take that. No crazy sets to report back with, the only thing I recall is a Mawile that used Embargo, I have no idea what that was intended for.. but it did nothing

So I used Trick Room almost exclusively with these 3, and it certainly worked. Considering how well it worked for me I'm surprised I didn't see anyone else use something similar.

Gardevoir @ Lum Berry
Trace
Timid / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Synchronoise
Substitute
Encore
Destiny Bond

Carbink @ Mental Herb
Sturdy
Brave / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Trick Room
Explosion
Sunny Day
Gyro Ball

Mawile @ Mawilite
Hyper Cutter
Brave / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Iron Head
Fire Fang
Sucker Punch
Substitute

Basically the plan was to lead with Gardevoir, get a kill which Sub + Encore + Destiny Bond usually guaranteed, go into Carbink, Trick Room, Explode, and that resulted Mega Mawile having 3 turns to KO 2 Pokemon, the first of which is already injured from Explosion. I really liked how it worked, the main thing that stopped it were random Subs or Protects (one guy had both on a Klefki, that was fun!!) and other specific situations that helped stall out Trick Room. Sunny Day on Carbink was to let Mawile OHKO other Mawile with Fire Fang but it didn't come into play. Fire Fang in general was actually way more useful than expected for more reliable damage rolls against weakened Mawile/Klefki. My other 3 were Klefki, Azumarill and Togekiss although they were barely used.

No super interesting replays, but if anyone is curious:

Y8GW-WWWW-WWW9-T6J4
ZH2W-WWWW-WWW9-T6J9
Examples of what it looked like when it worked as planned, the second one had an unexpected use for Sunny Day, stopping BellyAzu

NWFG-WWWW-WWW9-T5VK
An example of when it didn't go well at all, but the power of Mawile under TR brought back a game I thought I immediately lost. Those Whimsi leads were unpredictable as hell by the end of the competition

DLNW-WWWW-WWW9-T7U4
Clutch Substitute :(

mad. =[

I think I went....2-8 day 3 at best.
I don't think I even broke 1600+ at the end of this...
Twas basically a long series of losing lead-matchups, bad misplays (why did I not taunt that stupid Klefki it won with swagger hax fdopafjisjfk), and refusal to make high risk/reward plays.

Here's what I used:
http://prntscr.com/4r7l3l
(Dedenne's HP is Poison)

And here are my saved videos, none of which are from my awful Day 3 streak.
XB3W-WWWW-WWWW9-T96H
4R2G-WWWW-WWWW9-T96D
KZ7W-WWWW-WWWW9-T9CB
56KW-WWWW-WWWW9-T969
E2GG-WWWW-WWWW9-T96W

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Didn't do very good on this. 17/13. I really wish I practiced with this team on showdown before entering, it took me way too many games to figure out what things are good against what and what the good leads are.

My usual three are either klefki / azu / mmaw or dedenne / azu / maw.

Never used roost on my togekiss, and wish I put nasty plot over roost so I can actually do something with the extra turns I got from it. Either that or give it a life orb or specs/scarf or something. Even cheri berry would've given it more usage.

Definitely wish I gave my garde a lum berry over focus sash. While the sash is nice for dbonding, I found that by the time I needed it, I was already paralysed and slower. I think giving it substitute would've been a huge help.

Dedenne's easily been something a lot of people ignored but it's been hugely useful to me. When a meta turns into paralysis spam, having an immunity to it is huge, and weakening others with eerie impulse/charm is really useful too. Not to mention it shits all over azumarill and togekiss.

Klefki's also pretty decent offensively. Ok, so you led your trace gardevoir against my klefki. Don't mind me, I'm just 2HKOing it with STAB flash cannon! Same goes for whimsicotts too.

Some videos:
TEGW-WWWW-WWW9-SPCU
NJ5G-WWWW-WWW9-SPD2
VCCW-WWWW-WWW9-SPD3
D9YW-WWWW-WWW9-SPD9
CK4G-WWWW-WWW9-SPDD
QSDG-WWWW-WWW9-SPDV
CB4W-WWWW-WWW9-TB7N

Also FUCK THE RNG

I saved 29/30 of my battles. IIRC, I went 25-5?? And around 1740 points.

My team is as follows:

Absolutely loved swagger togekiss. 10/10 Would try again XD
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Level: 30
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Encore
- Substitute
- Synchronoise

The star of my team. Mega gardy was a force to be reckoned with. STAB synchronoise hurts bad, whist encore and disable is just evil. With trace, I can nab useful abilities like competitive and substitute, and feign a non mega set, then mega evolve and destory. It has been the cause of many 3-0s due to is destructive power

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Stockpile Fake Tears

So, as seen above, I loved using mega gardy, so I wanted a non mega mawile set. I had encountered this set a few times online, so I tried it. Sludge bomb and flash cannon were no question: SE to fairies is good. Fire blast OHKOs most mawiles. I had stockpile, because who can't say no to more defense, and then it came to the tourney, and I hadn't leveled it to lv 50 for stockpile. Fake tears can be used against slower mawile and put them in range of togekiss. EVs to be as fast as possible and hit as hard as possible

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD (an old VGC spread one I had lying around)
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Bulldoze

CB azu was the one for me: I didn;t like the fact that belly jet could take knocks, and the fact I'd have to re EV my azu. Aqua jet could 2hko most mawile, whilst waterfall got KOs on some big pokemon. Play rough was a Strong STAB too. Bulldoze gave a good way to do damage, and then slow down for later allies.

Togekiss @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Swagger

AKA Triple Hax Toge
Thanks to Pyritie for donating the togekiss, and EnGarde for cloning it. It has saved me a bunch

:3 I know what your are thinking. I'll come to it later. So I liked life orb togekiss, but mawile nabbed the orb, so I went with lum, which is an amazing item in a meta filled with parahax. Thunder wave added hax, and speed control, and air slash added more hax, and a good STAB. I have flame thrower, to deal considerable damage to mawiles, and KO most damaged mawiles. Now to the thing you may have been wondering about: SWAGGER?!?! Now, I used to run roost, but roost never went well on the team. Number of times roost has won me a battle: 1. For swagger: Too many to count. With paralysis and air slash flinch, IIRC it's around a 15% chance to hit through all three. It was powerful stuff and has swung battles in my favor

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 24 Def / 236 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Substitute
- Taunt
- Leech Seed

Standard subseed whimsi... Until the EV spread. I gave it max speed, and then ran no HP ad nearly maxed special bulk. This was because leech seed recovered more % of HP than at a larger HP. This was mainly for subbing. It worked

Sylveon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Echoed Voice
- Psyshock
- Synchronoise

Just here for the stupid sub pokemon, but I would have been better with dedenne =[

My main problem was dedenne and whimsicott. these could disrupt. Also... Scarf klefki hurt. I would share battle videos, but I can't upload them at the minute. Internet can't connect to 3DS =[.

EDIT: Some nice opponents saved some and uploaded them (Thanks guys):

CBNW-WWWW-WWW9-TW6M
LQJG-WWWW-WWW9-TWWH
WMQW-WWWW-WWW9-SVP4
WU5G-WWWW-WWW9-SCQ4
LT9W-WWWW-WWW9-SCJP

Last edited:

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
I finished with a score of 20-10. Yesterday was… embarrassing. My brain wasn't in the game, but I managed to somewhat recover today.

I didn't save any videos, but highlights of today include: a Japanese player rage quitting when Dedenne was sweeping his entire team with Charge Beam (of all things), a Florges who thought she could stall Echoed Voice with Protect and paying for it, a Mega Mawile who thought could finish off my Klefki with Sucker Punch… only for Klefki to survive with 4 HP and get the decisive KO with Flash Cannon, and an Azumarill trainer forfeiting the second after I got rid of its Huge Power.

The only "good" thing that happened yesterday was a Klefki trainer who used Swagger on Dedenne, Lum Berry activated as I used Nuzzle, and the match was forfeited on turn 2.

My team:

The ratings have been posted!

Screenshot_2014-10-03-21-24-15.png

323 globally, 49 in the US.

I finished 22-8. After my awesome first day, I had two straight 6-4 days. Most of my losses came from a key Fire Blast miss or a parahax at the worst possible moment.

This was a fun meta! Looking forward to Halloween Party!

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I ended up with 1758 points, 23rd overall / 1st in my country (Aus) / 2nd among English speaking countries. I wish I had faced a few more higher ranked players so there were more points to earn, but of course I could very well have lost all of them which would have put me even lower. I'm not at home so I can't post screen shots or anything yet so I'll post in the leaderboard thread later, but I'll still talk about what I've seen from the usage statistics.

1. Mawile obviously at the top.
  • As expected Mawilite dominated with 97.9%, Intimidate used on 78.5%. They were pretty much all physically offensive with Adamant (1) + Jolly (2) at 87.8% between them
  • Sheer Force was only at 2.3% with Life Orb at 0.7%. I could very well have been the only one running that with Mild. Hooray for gimmicks!
  • Go and have a look for yourself at the items tab, there are some really weird things (Quick Powder, Lucky Punch, Light Ball)
  • Mawile was the number 1 Pokemon, number 1 teammate of everything, number 1 killer of everything, and was killed most by other Mawile
2. Azumarill was everyone's second sweeper of choice
  • Belly Drum sweepers reigned supreme (BD 60.5%, Aqua Jet 95.3%, Sitrus Berry 53.4%).
  • Superpower at 30% is really weird to me. STAB Waterfall has the same damage output on Mawile and Aqua Tail out damages it... Brick Break at least gets rid of screens but that's only at 7.5%. Super effective Bulldoze also does the same damage as neutral Waterfall but that is there also.
  • lol @ the 0.9% running Thick Fat oh wait that was me
3. Togekiss' statistics support my thoughts on it being the most versatile Pokemon in this competition
  • Apart from Air Slash being it's dominant move, everything else has pretty even usage. 'Other moves' has over 50% as well
  • I honestly thought Super Luck + Scope Lens would have been used more, Super Luck was at 3.2% and Scope Lens didn't even poll
  • Offensive variants were most popular with modest (1) + timid (2) at 81.1% combined
  • 6.7% of people still don't understand that King's Rock doesn't stack with Air Slash
4. Gardevior seems pretty standard
  • Despite Mawilite being everywhere, 25.2% of Gard had their mega stone
  • I know this is in-game and not PS! but Synchronoise only being used on 37.2% seems low to me. I guess it is a pretty forgettable move in regular play though.. T-bolt also ranked high despite having the same base power against Azu and 'Kiss as STAB Synchronoise (180).
  • Most Gardevior I faced had Sub but that hasn't even polled.
  • Scarf being ranked so high is weird IMO. 80 base speed is one of the highest in the tier, what exactly were those sets trying to achieve? Beating Mega Gard 1v1?
5. The majority of Klefki were the standard support sets
  • T-wave / Screens / Flash Cannon seemed to be the favourite
  • I hadn't faced nor even considered Scarf yet it's up there. Specs was the superior option imo
  • Why is Foul Play being used so much?
6. Whimsicott
  • The bane of my existence
  • I understand why the standard Leech Seed stall set is so popular but if you weren't using Whimsi to set up a Mawile sweep with Tailwind + Memento or something like that you were using it wrong. Honestly I'm a little disappointed that it and Klefki's stats show that people just didn't think outside the box enough.
7. Clefable got higher than I thought it would
  • The most popular was Magic Guard + Life Orb. I really thought people would abuse Unaware + Minimize more.
That's it for the stuff I used (+ Whimsi) so I can't be bothered writing more lol. I'm surprised Dedenne is only at 8, I saw it in team preview more than Clefable and Whimsicott anyway. But the competition was very much centred around the top 8, I legit didn't see one single Sylveon, Granbull or Florgess, and Carbink popped up once. I suppose there's only like 16 or so fully evolved fairy types anyway though so only those 8 were viable...

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I came #1502 world, #47 UK with 1556 points. Not too happy. Definitely going to practice for the halloween tournament, as if I had known there was going to be as much twave spam was there was, I would've prepared for it a lot better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)