The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kuechly looked really fucking scary tonight, making plays all over the field. He certainly didn't look like a 2nd year player to me!

That Panthers O-Line is really gonna be the limiting factor for this team though. They looked atrocious tonight, Cam was running for his life and got hit a lot, and his receivers didn't really help (no one outside of Smith/Olsen is really any good).

Over the last two weeks I've seen four quarters of the Ravens' offensive starters, and I have to say that I am not impressed with the Ravens' offense. The defense looks alright (no noticeable dropoff from last year, I guess) but the offense has looked pretty bad. They started off fantastically tonight, marching right down the field and scoring on the first drive, but really looked awful after that. Last week they looked even worse, with the exception of a long TD pass involving a few bad angles and some pure breakaway speed by Smith. They'll need some consistency to be successful again this year, and it really comes down to Flacco to provide it.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Killah, I don't think it was the O-Line as much as it was Cam. He was missing throws consistently, and the recievers consistently missed catches. Im sure things will improve though. Gettis is looking like a good 3rd reciever.

I admit I wasn't paying full attention to it, but I felt like guys were getting blown back in his face practically every play. This was especially apparent on the running plays, where Williams got immediately hit behind the line of scrimmage on basically all of his runs.

Pressure makes everything worse for a quarterback. Even when the pressure isn't there, the perception of "I have to get this ball out immediately or I'm going to get hit" and "I can't step up in the pocket" usually makes quarterbacks more erratic than in well-blocked games. I remember a throw from last night when Gruden blasted Cam for not stepping up in the pocket and underthrowing a wide open receiver because of it. Cam actually had the room to step up, but Cam apparently didn't trust the fact that his O-Line would make him that room and made a poor throw flat-footed instead.

Most of the receiver problems will probably go away when Smith returns (I think he was on a snap count last night, didn't see much of him), but I think they'll be good enough to be average, and an average WR core would make the offense pretty good if Cam can get some blocking.

Fyi if we can't resign Hakeem Nicks i want him as a Panther. That's probably where he'll end up. Being from NC and all. Going to college there and the Panthers GM is already in love with Nicks. Perfect match tbh.

The Jets are a MUCH better team than the Giants... Except at QB. Which is the only thing that matters these days.

Another horrible day for the offense. Specifically the playcalling. And i know its the preseason with supposedly vanilla plays... Until you realize these vanilla plays are the only ones the Giants use in the regular season. Deep go routes to Nicks. The shotgun draw on 2nd and long(and in the redzone) and the worthless, shitty fade to whoever is covered. These are the only plays the Giants use/call... i can't stand them anymore. Oh and as soon as the backup steps in they go to a completely different offense. Using the TEs frequently and slants.

I can't stand another year of watching a bunch of great players do crap because of outdated, predictable and just plain shitty playcalling(and offense in general).

I'm pretty glad I'm a Raiders fan rather than a Jets fan, I mean...at least we have Pryor?

q.q no I'm not.

We're in a crappy rebuilding phase and the team isn't wonderful but at least we don't have a downright embarrassing Sanchez-esque QB right now. Besides it's not like any other AFC West team has a chance while Peyton is in the division...

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As much as I dislike the Jets and enjoy them not doing well/being the laughing stock of the league, the fact they beat the Giants suprised me (even though its preseason, it means nothing). Also lol Rex Ryan.

Even with the offense playing like garbage this game would have been a blow out had it been a regular season game. The Jets are clearly better(more talented really) but this game showed me that they can in fact go 2-14. Before the game i thought them too talented for that and was expecting 5-11 or 6-10 but this game showed so much.

The Jets first TD was thanks to 4 consecutive def penalties. They also had a 1.something rushing average... Against the Giants. A horrible run defense. If you can't run against these guys, you can't run the ball. In the third, Geno went up against backups which is how they scored more points. Had it been the regular season the TOs would have likely continued.

So yeah, even if the offense was really bad this game would have been a blow out in the regular season. It was also just the exact same game from 2011. Eli struggling and a big play(wilsons TD).

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Where was my new rule. It was only a few pages ago right? I'm 900% sure it still applies for the Giants. And it should definitely apply for them when the complaints are quantifiably false.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
stat of the day from sports center: 8

the number of career wins matt leinart has, which is more than any healthy qb on the bills right now :/

RIP Bills, I never knew ya =[

Also my yearly Vikings schedule predictions:

Week 1: @ Detroit - LOSS
Week 2: @ Chicago - LOSS
Week 3: Cleveland - WIN
Week 4: Pittsburgh - WIN
Week 5: Bye
Week 6: Carolina - LOSS
Week 7: @ NY Giants - WIN
Week 8: Green Bay - LOSS
Week 9: @ Dallas - LOSS
Week 10: Washington - LOSS
Week 11: Seattle - LOSS
Week 12: @ Green Bay - LOSS
Week 13: Chicago - WIN
Week 14: @ Baltimore - LOSS
Week 15: Philadelphia - If Vick is out by this time, WIN. If he is still active, LOSS
Week 16: @ Cincinnati - WIN (I assume the bengals will have locked up their playoff spot by this time)
Week 17: Detroit - WIN

End result: 5-11, or 6-10 at best.

This defense is going to be so good.

and the offense is going to be so bad. Maybe they can fire Rex after the season, but keep him as a defensive coordinator? Because let's be honest, firing him will make the defense worse.

And Tebow Time is over...for now...honestly despite the fact he can't throw well, considering the new wave of teams running pistol schemes and such , he'd make a decent backup with his feet you'd think. Someone will eventually sign him.

More surprising is Vince Young not catching on with the Packers, I thought he was doing better than whoever was the backup there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)