Leech Seed
Synthesis
Rain Dance
Swords Dance
Protect
Substitute
Tickle
Rest

Ludicolo can be one annoying jerk to fight, but he's just so fun to play around with. Elemental punches are physical now, as is Waterfall and Razor Leaf, giving him some physical versatility if you want to go that way with a Swords Dance or Tickle set.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Calm: 252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 SpD
-Surf / Energy Ball / Seismic Toss
-Leech Seed
-Toxic
-Synthesis / Rest / Protect

Old advance staller set, taken from smogon here. Energy Ball is an option since it's a much better STAB than Giga Drain. This set lets you stall the hell out of many special attackers and pester with status, seeding, and recovering yourself. Industrial stalling.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Modest: Swift Swim: 168 HP / 88 Spd / 252 SpA
-Rain Dance / HP Electric
-Ice Beam
-Surf / Hydro Pump
-Energy Ball / Leech Seed

Special sweeper set also from smogon. Rain Dance and beat the heck out of the opponent. Could work well with Hydration abuse Manaphy so you can rock with HP Electric for Gyarados.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Adamant: Swift Swim: 168 HP / 88 Spd / 252 Atk
-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Razor Leaf / Ice Punch
-Thunderpunch

Requires somebody else get Rain Dance going. Swords Danced STABs hurt a lot of things. Probably gimmicky but worth mentioning.

Fucking annoying sprite. Even more aggravating is that i've been waiting for a grass/water type since RBY and they gave us a dancing duck in a poncho. With oven mitts. Sugimori must die.

Ok, now that that is off my chest, I don't see why anyone would choose this over swampert. I'd only use this with leech seed, Or on a rain dance team with dish/leftovers/leech seed. I'd run a +def/-atk nature with leftovers, and Leech Seed/Sub or ice beam or surf/Grass Rope/Rain Dance. Max HP EVS, alot of defense and maybe some special attack or defense.

Fucking annoying sprite. Even more aggravating is that i've been waiting for a grass/water type since RBY and they gave us a dancing duck in a poncho. With oven mitts. Sugimori must die.

Ok, now that that is off my chest, I don't see why anyone would choose this over swampert. I'd only use this with leech seed, Or on a rain dance team with dish/leftovers/leech seed. I'd run a +def/-atk nature with leftovers, and Leech Seed/Sub or ice beam or surf/Grass Rope/Rain Dance. Max HP EVS, alot of defense and maybe some special attack or defense.
It could be that 4x resistance to water and 2x resistance to ground that makes Ludicolo a good choice. Ludicolo's mainly a special sponge and is likely best as a staller.

Swampert is part water, Ludi is part water. Similarity ends there.

Ludi is mostly for stalling (or trying to) with Leech Seed and taking out other waters, something Swampert has trouble doing.

You got it all wrong, he's a Pineapple-Platypuss with a lilypad sombrero.

Now that I got that off my chest, I say raind dance/surf/ice beam leech seed is still his best set.

What makes Ludicolo so good though is that it shuts down every other bulky water. It's the anti-bulky water bulky water. Swampert can't do anything to Ludicolo, nor can Vaporeon, nor can Suicune. Even Milotic, Slowbro, and Kingdra fall to the sombrero wearing duck.

Surf
Ice Beam/Toxic
Leech Seed
Counter

This is a set that I liked to use in Advance. Double status (Leech Seed and Toxic) messes the opponent up good, but the problem comes in when a grass/poison or anything that resists surf comes in, so I throw in ice beam for more coverage. Counter allows me to take a big hit from something that might kill me, and take out the opponent.

Dont you dare Say that about Ludicolo!!! for not being a Fire, Electric and or Explosive kinda type, he has a cool design!

I love Ludicolo, but I don't really find 80/100 to be that great for something meant to sponge special hits. If it had a bit more HP I would probably consider it more, but it seems that it will eventually be overpowered by most special attackers in due time.

Grass Rope/Ice Beam/Leech Seed/Substitute could work, but I personally see a bit of potential in Rain Dance/Substitute/Leech Seed/Surf - besides Manaphy, I'm willing to wager that Ludicolo is one of the best weather changers.

My bad =p Nah, ludicolo doesn't have the Sp walling strength that it did in RSE since it can't take too many CG/schemed atks. At least we still have good ol surf. It's prolly going to end up in UU.

Is there a list of moves that have to be transferred from RSE in order to be obtained? Haven't seen any here or on Serebii.

My bad =p Nah, ludicolo doesn't have the Sp walling strength that it did in RSE since it can't take too many CG/schemed atks. At least we still have good ol surf. It's prolly going to end up in UU.

Is there a list of moves that have to be transferred from RSE in order to be obtained? Haven't seen any here or on Serebii.
If you go on serebii and look up the pokemon's MS, just see what it can and can't learn. the Move Tutors have ALOT of attacks that you can't get in D/P.

Just the fact that Signal Beam because special, along with a few other physical moves means that one of the primary reasons Ludicolo could special wall (no special weaknesses) is gone. This is similar to Weezing, who now has physical weaknesses in the way of Psycho Cutter (not that this is too much a hastle with Will-O-Wisp). But that, along with Scheme joining Calm Mind in stat boosting, drops Ludicolo down to UU, I predict.

He will be a terror in UU if he does indeed drop down to there. I could see it now, ludicolo, one of the monsters of UU lol.

I mainly only used Ludi for countering Pert in ADV so I'd imagine its use in D/P will be linked to the swamp thing. If SR use is popular, Gyarados (the other major Pert counter) use may be less frequent and Pert use could go up. So I could see Ludi being quite useful in such an environment.

Ludicolo seems too good to be UU, he's more likely to be one of these million BLs everyone calls "underrated".

Another good Sand Stream Pokemon means he'll have an even harder time recovering. Synthesis blows in Sand Stream and Rest is suicide. Ludicolo is still a pain to face though as he can mess up Blissey and Snorlax with Leech Seed. I always hated fighting this thing.

With Thunderpunch/Hidden Power Electric, it could theoretically "counter" some Gyarados versions. Granted, Ice Fang may hurt and Stone Edge will, but any Waterfall/Earthquake/Dragon Dance/Taunt variants are going down.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I used to like Rain Dish + Leftovers + Leech Seed in 200 (though I used to play it without Leech Seed). It heals huge amounts of damage per turn. Granted, his 80/100 special defense isn't much, but when it is healing 3/16 of your HP per turn and you'll do 40% to it, for instance, you'll instantly see almost half that damage being healed. That IS a lot.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Rain Dish

~ Rain Dance
~ Leech Seed
~ Surf/Hydro Pump
~ Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Ice Beam

Rain Dish is such an underrated trait.

I don't like Rain Dance with Rain Dish, setting yourself up to get healed just tends not to work. Rain Dish is probably the best non-Rain Dance Ludicolo trait though. Swift Swim is sort of useless on any kind of defensive Ludicolo as most of the time when there's rain you'll be against something like Kingdra (206 Speed to start with) or like Omastar that pumped its Speed to 200 or so to outspeed Jolteon/Aerodactyl. Defensive Ludicolo needs max HP and tons of Special Defense, and has no business putting EVs into its Speed (that starts at 176). Therefore it won't outspeed these Rain Dancers ever even with Swift Swim, so might as well use the recovery.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
because manaphy, swampert and vaporeon are almost in every RMT, ludicolo can make it to OU...especially manaphy is a pain, calm ludicolo takes care of that, leech seed first, energy ball for the 2hko...ice beam+surf, rain dance+surf, sub+ice beam for the last two moveslots, rain dish

with calm minds, manaphy can still survive pretty well, esp. with Rain Dance+Rest. so I dunno if Ludicolo can really counter it, unless Manaphy doesn't have Calm Mind.

with calm minds, manaphy can still survive pretty well, esp. with Rain Dance+Rest. so I dunno if Ludicolo can really counter it, unless Manaphy doesn't have Calm Mind.
Manaphy should be carrying tail glow since beating blissey with your bulky water is always fun. I suppose it would be neat to try a team with rain dance manaphy and ludicolo on the same team. Also, I'm not really a big fan of ludicolo using giga drain.

Some different sets I've been thinking of (sorry for reviving an old thread, but I didn't want to start another new one). Lucicolo is more than a one-trick pony (stall) so I came up with these:

Ludicolo*Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
Energy Ball
Ice Beam
Hydro Pump
Focus Bomb

Works the same way Empoleon does, but can counter about every water but Water/Poisons (how often are Tenta and Qwil going to see play anyways). 2x Ground resist and 4x water resist with uncommon and predictable weakness (Fly, Poison, Bug) makes a great switch in on a water type like Starmie, Milotic, or even Gyrados and blast away.

Lucicolo*Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Jolly
Swords Dance
Subsitute
Focus Punch/Brick Break/Waterfall
Thunder Punch/Zen Headbutt

Physical Ludicolo! If rain is in play, you can make some serious damage. Sub is for FP and to Swords Dance. Thunder Punch and Focus Punch hit almost everything but Rotom. You can opt for Waterfall for STAB, but you'll get walled by Lanturn instead. Zen Headbutt is also an option to deal with Poison switch ins like Weezing and Crobat but Thunder Punch deals with Skarmory and Gyrados.

edit: Forgot Roserade and other grass/poisons resist the Thuder/Focus combo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)