Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Should Imprison Chandelure run Modest nature with 252 HP, 252 SpA? If not, what's the best nature/EV spread?

Also, have there been any announcements regarding invitations to Nationals/Worlds given to the top-ranked players in the PGL rankings? I remember the Global Link press release said something about invites being given in this way.
I talked to Mike about this at Dallas.

The idea of giving out invites for gbu was scrapped because of problems with leaderboard updates, lack of control of gbu rulesets, and the problems with dcs.

I guess I should find out before I go to Nationals...

I got from a trade a Tornadus which I plan on using, but on the summary page with all the junk about OT and such, it says "apperantly met at level 35" implying that it was cheated for. Should I scrap it or am I okay?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus

I got from a trade a Tornadus which I plan on using, but on the summary page with all the junk about OT and such, it says "apperantly met at level 35" implying that it was cheated for. Should I scrap it or am I okay?
Scrap it. It won't pass hack check.

What happened to this!?

Also try uploading a battle video with it onto the GTS if you can I don't see the problem, it has some kind of hack check if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I RNG my stuff so I don't have to bother with that, I know its legit.

Don't use it. It's things like that that doesn't pass hack check. This is Nationals too. Just don't use it.

So let me get this straight, the first round of nats is single elimination like the other regionals, but then it condenses into the top 16 who battle swiss the next day?

Also anyone know any attractions in Indianapolis? Museums and other stuff for example?

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So let me get this straight, the first round of nats is single elimination like the other regionals, but then it condenses into the top 16 who battle swiss the next day?

Also anyone know any attractions in Indianapolis? Museums and other stuff for example?
It's actually vice-versa. The first day of Nationals (Saturday) is Swiss to determine the Top 16. On Sunday, the Top 16 play Best-of-3 Single Elimination. (whoever wins 2 out of 3 games advances)

I can't speak for attractions, though there is a mall. (woo)

Should I use Discharge or Thunder on Thundurus? The teammates that work with Discharge are my Mienshao (Wide Guard), Landorus, and Conkeldurr (Protect). Although, my Tornadus has Rain Dance to mess with other weather, so while it's up I could take advantage of 100% accurate Thunder. The cons to the attacks are: Discharge is rather weak and also hits my Tornadus and Darmanitan, and Thunder only hits a single target and is unreliable in case I can't set up rain.

Oh, and, I know my team sounds terrible on paper (Rain with Darmanitan, and having no rain abusers), but it works pretty well in practice despite getting into VGC-battling just a few hours ago.

I'm having trouble deciding on a sixth spot. So far my team is speed based and the problems I figure I'll have are Tailwind,TR, and Twave. Just looking for some suggestions for a sixth spot. possibilities I've thought of are Chandelure,Musharna, Whimsicott, Scrafty, Reuniclus,Mandibuzz(not sure if its VGC competetive enough), and finally Zoroark (although this would be my last choice unless someone explains why not). Any ideas help. Thanks all

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm having trouble deciding on a sixth spot. So far my team is speed based and the problems I figure I'll have are Tailwind,TR, and Twave. Just looking for some suggestions for a sixth spot. possibilities I've thought of are Chandelure,Musharna, Whimsicott, Scrafty, Reuniclus,Mandibuzz(not sure if its VGC competetive enough), and finally Zoroark (although this would be my last choice unless someone explains why not). Any ideas help. Thanks all
So your first 5 are weak to the three main strategies? Sounds like a solid team.

Protip: One mon won't cover you against everything, I'd start looking at your already made choices before worrying about the last slot.

I thought VGC was Top 32? Idk why, but it says that in the National Championships Regulations on pokemonvgc.com
A lot of people think that it's going to be a Top 32 because of the website but I'm 100% sure that the Top 32 was a mistake. It says on the Invite sheets a bunch of times that it is a Top 16, not 32.

"After the final Swiss round, the top 16 players in each age division will return the following day to participate in the Final rounds."

"The top 16 (depending on attendance) players in each age division from the Preliminary rounds will return to battle for the title of Pokemon Video Game U.S. National Champion."

It doesn't make sense to have a Top 32 when you only have around 80-90 people attending the event itself. (I think that was the attendance last year? Give or take)

Also, refer to this TCG document: http://assets.pokemon.com/assets/cm...1/Pokemon_Tournament_Operation_Procedures.pdf

(Yeah, I know it's TCG, but the tournaments are run the exact same way. Check Section 3.3.5 Determining the Number of Swiss and Single Elimination Rounds Needed. All the divisions will most likely have more than 65 attendees, but less than 128, meaning that there is no chance for a Top 32.)

Alright, but later on it says Top 32 come together Sunday July 10th to finish. But you are probably right. I'll be pissed if I get 17th(no offense bro). :( Guess this means we need X-2, X-1, or X-0 records in Swiss! :P

It doesn't say anywhere on the actual invite sheet that the Top 32 come together on Sunday, at least I don't see anything.

And yeah, fuck 17th place lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)